Today’s post is very short…I gathered the following list from Michael Useem’s book Leading up: How to lead your boss so you both win.
- Develop emotional intelligence
- Use power and politics for good
- Choose being effective over being right
- Be intentional and prepared
- Help your supervisor
- Disagree without being disagreeable
- Don’t expect credit
These habits are not generally intuitive. The first one is quite tough and some people really don’t know where to start. And if you can truly take habit seven to heart, you will surely do well. All of these habits make sense. And if I can offer any advice on how best to tackle this list…leave your ego at the door and welcome the relationship with your supervisor.